Tuesday, November 20, 2007

The Christmas gift experiment


prototype potholder, originally uploaded by harpyr.

So this is what I made today. It was a fast knit on size 10 1/2 needles with Noro Kureyon. I felted it in the sink with hot and cold water and then threw it in the dryer. However, I think it needs to be felted more to be safe as a potholder. It's just too holey still. It would work as a table protector for a hot pot. I'm needing to whip out some fast knits to give as gifts to extended family since I think we've blown our entire present budget on gifts for the kids already. We're just about done with all our shopping for them so now I can devote my spare time to crafting some stuff for everybody else. I hope people can appreciate handmade washcloths and potholders. Kinda mundane but I think it's all I have time for. I really should have started knitting gifts months ago. I have to admit I'm something of a selfish knitter still. I'm forcing myself to put down the big entrelac wrap for myself in order to knit for other people. It's easier to convince myself to do that by making these entrelac potholders. I get to practice my technique so I can be sure to get Lady Eleanor just right. Here's a finished example of the wrap in the Noro Silk Garden colorway that I'll be using.

Gorgeous, eh? It'll probably take me four months to finish but it'll be worth it.













Alrighty, I need to finish this up and get the kids to bed. I've been procrastinating on turning in Quinn's work samples to his contact teacher. (We participate in a charter school program) For some reason I have this aversion to using my scanner. I don't know why but the process seems tediously slow to me and I have to really force myself to muster up the gumption to do it. Tonight I must. Even if it means dragging myself out of my nice comfy bed after Zay falls asleep and taking care of this. I'm already five days late. Gotta stop slacking on this!

No comments: