Tuesday, October 30, 2007

pregnant gypsy pool shark

Last Saturday the kids spent the night at their Grandma's house for the first time. It was Zay's first overnight EVER. It went pretty well. She did wake up at 3 and refuse to go back to bed but quickly went back to sleep with Grandma on the couch. Q got abit homesick but he said he had fun anyway.

B and I went out to a Halloween party at the Howling Dog all dressed up. He was a pirate, as were his friends that we met up with there. I was sort of a fortune teller or something. I was going for a witchy pirate look but people at the bar referred to me as a gypsy. Close enough. The highlight of the night was playing pool. I don't get to do it much these days but back in my single, pre-munchkin days, I was a regular at the Watertrough- a Portland dive featuring several cheap pool tables, pool shark regulars and great bartenders. If I might toot my own horn abit, I got pretty good at the game. As it turns out, with a bit of concentration, it's much like riding a bike, it would seem. Saturday night I was in top form; I made several tough shots and no one beat me all night. Okay so I only played three games before we had to go home due to B needing to get sleep for work in the morning, but they were three awesome games, lemme tell you. People seemed to get a kick out of the pregnant gypsy kicking butt at pool. It was quite the confidence booster, I must say. (Even if I did have the sober advantage over the drunken people I played)

I made a difficult shot that required alot of side english, a bank shot into the side pocket and my dreaded shot wherein the object ball is directly in the center of the table and the cue ball is centered at the other end of the table- usually a scratch shot but with the proper english and just the right amount of gentle touch, I made it into the corner pocket. Whoooweee did that one make my night.

My only major complaint of the evening was the smokiness of the place. Ugh. I found myself squatting down to get to the fresh air closer to the floor in between my turns. The smoke was really nauseating.. I don't know how people can stand going to such places regularly.
All in all it was a really entertaining night though. Surprisingly, about 95% of the people were in costumes which made for great people watching.

No comments: